Friday, April 9, 2010

There's a hint of pollen in the air...


I love when the warmer weather comes after a long winter...who doesn't?? What I always forget about until it comes, is the yellow plague. Everyone gets so excited about breaking out the short sleeves and flip-flops and shorts...and then it hits.

The symptoms are distinct, runny and itchy face! There is no real relief...but you always try. The 12-hr pill that only lasts 3 hours, or the 24-hr pill that lasts 6. It's always really bad until it rains. It's not just the allergies, it's the yellow tinge on EVERYTHING!! It's on the porch, the chairs, the cars, the dog...and somehow, all over the house.

This year, there was a reason it was all over everything. The air conditioner has been out since the beginning of spring. As responsible adults, my husband and I contacted various contractors and researched units and compared prices before deciding on a company...which left us air-less for a few weeks. We had no choice, we had to open the windows. We have a very well-insulated house, which was an evil for this situation. When it got to 88o in the house, it stayed 88o in the house. We had to open the windows to breathe!!

So, now the yellow consumes the outside furniture and life as well as the INside furniture and life. But...today we got air!! My husband and I decided on a company and called them yesterday. We were able to set up an appointment for this morning (which confirmed our decision :)). The guy was out here all day, so I was cleaning house all day!! I was so ecstatic to get the house clean...to get the yellow films of the furniture, to get the sandy feeling off the floor, to make the window sills white again. It has killed me the last few weeks to just watch the dust grow with no end in sight (I wasn't going to clean it while we were still having to open windows). I had gone over the method of cleaning several times in my head!

I started in the kitchen; you know the routine...blocking off the doorway from wayward animals, children, and husbands and putting the chairs up on the table. I happily began washing, dusting, and scrubbing EVERYTHING!! I threw away yellow-infused dust rags from every room in the house. I spent hours cleaning with an overwhelming sense of relief. When I ended at our bedroom, I went back to the beginning steps of my quest (the kitchen) to put everything back int order. I went to remove the first chair off the table...wait a minute...what's that dusty stuff on the table?? OMG...it's more pollen...

Oh well...

No comments:

Post a Comment

PitaPata Dog tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers