Friday, April 9, 2010

A boy and his dogS







I love my husband...

My husband and I grew up in completely different circumstances. I grew up with a family who is all about animals...not on a farm or anything, but my family always had several pets. My mom bred dogs when I was much younger...I had pet dogs, goats, pigs, chickens, ducks, cats, fish, lizards, turtles, etc. Not all at the same time, but at one time or another.

My husband had a pet hamster growing up...that's it.

I knew that he really wanted a dog, and was fully prepared to adopt one with him when we got married and moved into our own place since I was not bringing one from home. So, a few months after we were married and moved into our own apartment, we got an 8-mth old husky mix, Zax. We found him in a local paper and contacted the people to pick him up. He was beautiful, snow white fur and ice blue eyes. We learned quickly that he needed a lot of training and a lot of work. We enrolled in a training class and eventually moved into a much roomier house. The boy had his dog...

But, the boy had never had a puppy...

While at PetSmart one Saturday getting something for Zax, we spotted a pen of puppies from one of those organized dog rescues. I always try to avoid those places...for several reasons. One, those dogs are technically already in a good home and I would rather adopt one who needs a chance. Two, these places are huge control freaks...do you have a fenced in yard? what do you feed your dog? how much time will the dog spend outside/inside? how long have you been married? what is your personality type?...a little ridiculous. If you want to have complete control over the dog's life...keep it!! With all of this, we still fell head-over-heels for our next fur-baby, Zeus. I was still very glad to get the rescue out of the way. People who do a day-surgery neuter on an 8-mth old puppy shouldn't be able to run a rescue anyway. After taking Zeus to our vet for proper after-care (including an overnight stay and pain meds...), Zeus fit nicely in our little family.

Three years later, I'm thinking that life is nice. I love our little family, including the dogs. They each have their own personality, and Zeus has always been the baby (even at 110lbs). So, imagine my confusion when the husband mentions another puppy. I mean, we're still young and working into our own version of bliss, but I figured the next breed of baby that would come into our house would be our own.

But...I love my husband. We found some lady trying to get rid of a litter from one of her 'yard dogs'...a free to good home pup. So, now we have yet another dog...they now outnumber us!! Leia is a german shepard mix with fleas, worms, and a bad diet...we're treating all of this. Zax is pretty ok with her, Zeus isn't completely down with the concept of a puppy...but we're getting there.

I have since had a conversation with my husband regarding raising children...it is very important for kids to have pets (other than a hamster)...he agrees :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

PitaPata Dog tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers