Friday, January 15, 2021

The important things.

We all love a sirsee, but this child holds special memories to them.  A sirsee, for those who may not know, is a small surprise.  An inexpensive trinket that you didn't expect.  When my mom was local and I would swing by her house, she'd sometimes have a super cute pair of socks or a dish towel for me...a sirsee.  For kids, its maybe that impulse buy when checking out at Target or a small toy at the Dollar Tree.  When I'm out and happen to see something that I think my kids would love, I pick it up for them.  

This is my 5 year old wild child with a soft heart.  He cannot remember where he put his coat 3 minutes after taking it off, or to use an inside voice, or that he isn't allowed to run in the house.  But, he'll bring me a sirsee from 2 years ago and tell me about how he remembers that Daddy gave it to him that time he got a kids meal and went to that park with the big swing.   Or, that time Mommy had to get new tires and he got a small toy and a bag of chips... that time his ears didn't feel good and we went to the doctor and stopped at DT for a little toy... that time Mommy and Daddy came back with a small surprise after he stayed with a sitter. 

He remembers each one.  The next time I'm frustrated that he doesn't remember where he left his right boot, his polar bear face mask, or that we don't bounce balls close to the TV; I'll remember that he does remember the important things.  That he'll remember how much and often we think about him among the chaos of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

PitaPata Dog tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers