Sunday, January 17, 2021

Firsts with the fourth

I've had 4 babies,  5 pregnancies,  5 c-sections.  That's pretty experienced.  Every pregnancy and every baby is different, but there have been some absolutes among them.  I'm going to be sick, anti-nausea medication is not going to help.  I'm going to have heartburn that burns my entire torso, tums won't help.  The baby will not come early, s/he won't even try to be on time. There will be a c-section, and recovery will be smooth.  

Here's what I just found out... and can't believe I was 4 babies in when learning it.

Buy the washable breast pads.  I know that no mama ever needs one more piece of fabric to wash.  That has been the driving force behind me always using disposable pads.  But, these are soooo worth the effort.  I never knew.   A close friend has been making face masks and had leftover fabric, she sewed a couple of pairs for me.  They were quickly renamed "boobie pillows".  Holy cannoli.  Heaven.  They are heaven, and I cannot believe I've nursed babies for 6 years without them.  Sorry, boobies.

Get at least one pair of compression leggings.  I've had 4 c-sections, and honestly couldn't imagine putting pressure on my incision would be comfortable.  I knew nothing.  After reading several testimonials, I bought a pair.  My husband had to help me into them a week after delivery.  A friend came to our house to do a newborn session and I wanted to wear them.  I almost chickened out when they were halfway up.  Soooo glad I didn't.  I could literally hop up from my recliner.  I was able to twist and turn during the photo session,  my friend even commented on my mobility.   Best. Buy. Ever.   Again,  can't believe I went so long without using a pair.

Adult diapers.   Who knew??  While the mesh undies and boat pad combo given at the hospital isn't super dignifying, adult diapers just sounded horrible.  They aren't.  They work, are more comfortable, won't leak, and you just throw them away.  Perfect.  There was a time that I was changing diapers for a newborn, toddler, and myself.  A diaper assembly line.  And, I still recommend them 100%.  I also recommend potty training the toddler BEFORE baby comes...

Also, sugar waxing.   Getting this done at 37 weeks means no worries until the other side of postpartum.  Completely beats trying to shave right before delivery.   Or worse, let the preop nurses come at you with those horrible clippers.  

What pregnancy/postpartum firsts have you learned multiple babies later??

No comments:

Post a Comment

PitaPata Dog tickers
PitaPata Dog tickers